Thursday, March 29, 2012

Comic Books and Graphic Novels: Gateway Books

I don't mean to steal thunder from Doug Fisher and Nancy Frey, so I won't. You'll get the big scoop on graphic novels in the class from them in an up-coming IRA member's only article. Keep your eyes out for it--it's a good one!

Their article got me thinking. First about how my love of comic books persisted throughout my youth. I still read graphic novels, though I indulge less in the monthly superhero stories and go for a big stories, the more complex tales geared to more mature readers. Watchman is an amazing comic for that. As is The Sandman. Neil Gaimen is one of my all time favorite authors; whether it be his novels or his graphic novels, the stories he weaves inspire and amaze me.

I am an avid reader and still an avid reader of graphic novels.

But that isn't what the article really got me thinking about. It took me back much farther than that.

When I was young lad back in first and second grade (and a big apology to all my grade school teachers--I must have been a terror in class back then, but please realize all your efforts paid off!), I had trouble reading. In fact, I had to get tutored a couple times a week to catch me back up to grade level in between second and third grade (and a big thank you to my tutor, and especially to my parents who took the time make sure I caught up).

It's hard to think of myself that way now, someone who didn't read much. I don't recall not enjoying reading, but then I don't recall much from back then.

Anyway, what this article reminded me of was me sitting in my local library (which was a tiny thing, but Mom took my brother and I there often), sitting on the floor next to a spinning rack of soft-covered books. Comic books. Mainly Peanuts--I would sit there and read one cover to cover and then go for the next one. Over and over. Probably read the entire collection a few times a month.

Mom mentioned recently how, at the time, she thought I was just looking at the pictures. She was surprised when I would start describing what was happening with Snoopy and poor ol' Charlie Brown. She said something about how at the time some of my teachers said they weren't level-appropriate, but Mom figured if they kept me reading it was worth it. And they did. And it was.

Yeah, I did need to get tutored to catch me up, but I got hooked on reading before then, and I think already having that foundation of enjoyment in reading helped. It kept me going. It gave me a reason to want to read better because I already knew reading could be fun. I just had a hard time doing it.

After the tutoring, I got into the Three Investigators series and my love of reading really took off from there, but that's a story for another time.

That was my little trip down memory lane, remembering how that rack of Peanuts comic books start me on the path to being a life-long reader--and an editor at the International Reading Association and ReadWriteThink.org. They were my gateway books into the literary world. I hope all young readers out there find that gateway into the world of reading.

Let me end with a huge thank you to Charles M. Schulz, creator of the Peanuts, as well as everyone else out there who managed to get kids reading--authors, illustrators, teachers, and tutors. You're doing the world a huge favor, and your efforts are worthy of praise. Thank you.

Do you remember your gateway book? Perhaps that one series when you were young that grabbed and hooked you as a reader?

Wes

No comments:

Post a Comment