Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Wes's Highlights From IRA Convention


I only got to see two sessions at the Convention this year, but they were both awesome! I'm a little bias in my opinion, though, being that both sessions where the ReadWriteThink sessions and I'm a ReadWriteThink editor. But hey, there it is!

I spent a good chunk of the rest of my time at IRA's Bookstore. If you were there, I was the one happily scampering about saying, "Can I help anyone find anything? Answer any questions for you? Make up completely false facts about Chicago?" Towards the end, that last one became, "Recite some poetry?"

Yes, that options was picked a couple times.

Yes, I did actually recite poetry for attendees.

I also got to visit with some of IRA's authors! Jan Miller Burkins and Valerie Ellery both had book signing sessions in the Bookstore this year while I was there.

wJan-cropped.jpg
Jan is the author of IRA's Prevented Misguided Reading, Coaching for Balance, and Practical Literacy Coaching, and she's one of ReadWriteThink's authors too, having done a few strategy guides for our site.

wVallery_cropped.jpg
Valerie is the author of IRA's Creating Strategic Readers, which I had the pleasure of copyediting back when I was a Production Editor in the books department at IRA.

In case it wasn't completely obvious, I'm the one who appears both pics.

I also got a chance to chat with Doug Buehl (Developing Readers in the Academic DisciplinesClassroom Strategies for Interactive Learning), Doug Fisher, Nancy Frey, and Diane Lapp (Text Complexity, In a Reading State of Mind--which I also worked on), but no one conveniently walked by with a camera to snap a shot with me with them.

I do enjoy being able to catch up with authors at convention--wonderful people full of energy and a true passion to educate. Always striving to do more to help teachers help their students.

Wes

No comments:

Post a Comment